The J.O.S.H. Foundation was initially founded in memory of Joshua Samuel Hughes who died tragically at the age of 21. However, as Cindy Hughes began the foundation, she realized that there are so many children of all ages who have passed away due to any number of circumstances. Loss affects the entire family in ways that cannot even be imagined.
The J.O.S.H. Foundation believes the death of a parent, sibling, or loved one can have a devastating affect on one’s life and can forever alter the person you are. Grief makes it more difficult to achieve your goals of furthering your education, through emotional, physical and financial hardships.
The J.O.S.H. Foundation would like to assist you in reaching your goals by offering an annual scholarship to a graduating high school senior who wishes to further educational pursuits at a college, university, business, or vocational training facility.
These high school seniors received scholarships of $500 or $1,000:
2007: Jenifer Fink
2008: Carly Sachs
2008: Jessica Vossler
2009: Kaci Miller
2013: Lindsey Bishop
2014: Emily Davis
2015: David Kreinar
2016: Emanuel T Ruth
2017: Emily A James
2018: William J Freundel
How To Apply
Click to download a Scholarship Application
* Applicant must be a graduating high school senior in a public school in Carroll County, Maryland who wishes to further their educational pursuits at a college, university, business or vocational training facility.
* Applicant must have suffered the loss of an immediate family member, (parent, step-parent, sibling, or loved one).
* Applicant must have at least a 2.5 grade point average.
* Applicants must submit a written essay explaining who in their family passed away and how the loss has impacted their life and affected their future.
* Applicant must complete and sign the application form provided.
* Application and essay must be postmarked by April 30th and returned to the address provided to be considered for the fall sememster of college:
Cynthia A. Hughes
The J.O.S.H. Foundation
612 Falmouth Court
Sykesville, MD 21784